Re: Last Call: <draft-farrell-perpass-attack-02.txt> (Pervasive Monitoring is an Attack) to Best Current Practice

2014-01-04 01:09:15
Here is my "paraphrase" or "interpretation:"

    Please remember to do your homework when it comes to ethical and
    societal design considerations, if any. Authors SHOULD ALWAYS
    be prepared to answer any questions related to such design
    considerations.

I think the problem is the lack of a section or "checklist" that one should be considering - ALWAYS. The RFC templates should be a section with a baseline description:

    The author(s) of this document does not believe there are "pervasive
    monitoring" related attacks [RFCXXXX] in this specification.

Having this in the templates is a form of a "checklist" not only the authors can not avoid, but also reviewers. At the end of the day, we don't want any possible considerations to "fall through" the proverbial "cracks." Reviewers, participants, implementers need to be able to put the authors to the task to do their homework.

Ideally, "ethical IETF engineers" don't need these type of reminders, but it helps to have a "checklist."

My "Opinion"