Re: Agenda, security, and monitoring

2014-02-03 13:12:28
From: Phillip Hallam-Baker <hallam(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>

The part that you don't state by name but imply is 'what is the business
model'. We are talking about a multi-million dollar change to the email
infrastructure. That is only justified if we can show a multi-billion
dollar return on the investment.

I think that there is such a return. If my bank, my doctor, my brokerage
can send mail and be assured that the transport is confidential end to end,
they can use email in more ways. SSL made Web commerce possible and added
roughly five trillion dollars to global GDP according to one estimate.
Email security can make Internet commerce better and simpler and sustain
that growth. Even if the additional benefits from making the other Internet
killer application secure are 1% of the Web benefits, that is a lot of
potential.

Unfortunately, "my bank, my doctor, my brokerage" have all implemented
confidential email, but they are horrible webmail systems.  That means
that a considerable amount of the benefit that will be obtainable from
confidential email is already being obtained, making it harder for
proper confidential email to gain acceptance in the market.

Dale