Re: Moderation on ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org

2014-07-22 12:29:19
On Jul 22, 2014, at 1:07 PM, Michael StJohns <mstjohns(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net>
wrote:
We're considering approaches to manage noise on the IETF list.  One
possibility discussed by the IESG is providing moderators to remonstrate with
the noise producers prior to action by the sergeant-at-arms.  The IESG would
like to solicit comments on this and also solicit guidance on other
possibilities prior to making any decision

As Spencer said, this is good text.   However, it's worth noting that we
/really do/ have a problem here, and we need to do something about it.   What
Pete proposed was /really/ mild: he proposed that when people exhibit certain
behavior patterns, they be asked to step back--to count to ten, as Vint said.
Is that actually an unreasonable thing to be doing?

I agree with the hall monitor comment--we really don't want to turn this into a
new, improved IETF bullying system.   If that's what this looks like to people
who are objecting, we probably ought to try to figure out why, and whether
there's something we can do to mitigate that concern.