Re: the ancient location question, was IETF-91 Question

2014-08-12 18:31:25
On 13/08/2014 10:24, Melinda Shore wrote:
On 8/12/14 2:19 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
The reason given for not returning to Minneapolis is that only the
core participants show up, and that cuts into much-needed conference
revenue, making us less self-sufficient.

Am I reading this correctly - we sometimes go to attractive
holiday destinations to pull in people who don't participate
much, as a way of underwriting meeting costs?

A cheaper meeting at which only core participants turn up has
obvious advantages.

I'd like to see some financial modelling for meetings of say
900 people in the Minneapolis Hilton, contrasted with 1200
in more expensive locations.

(At the end of the .com boom, we did hit about 2000 in
Minneapolis in March 2001, to be compared with 2700 in
San Diego in December 2000, so a 25% drop based on
location is plausible.)

      Brian