Re: the ancient location question, was IETF-91 Question

2014-08-12 18:15:33
On Aug 12, 2014, at 6:24 PM, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
The reason given for not returning to Minneapolis is that only the
core participants show up, and that cuts into much-needed conference
revenue, making us less self-sufficient.

Am I reading this correctly - we sometimes go to attractive
holiday destinations to pull in people who don't participate
much, as a way of underwriting meeting costs?

Say rather less unattractive destinations.   I think we get better numbers in
Dallas than Minneapolis.   I don't understand why--Minneapolis is one of my
favorite IETF destinations--but that's what Ray said during the Admin plenary a
couple of IETFs ago, and I see no reason to doubt him!

And it's not just meeting costs.   There are a lot of costs to running IETF.