Re: the ancient location question, was IETF-91 Question

2014-08-12 17:20:00
On Aug 12, 2014, at 6:09 PM, Yoav Nir <ynir(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:
Distance, cost and work are among the “other things”. I’d also prefer to be
in Minneapolis. If I’m going to be stuck in conference rooms and miss out on
the city I’m in, I’d rather miss out on Minneapolis or Phoenix, than on
Honolulu or Paris.

The reason given for not returning to Minneapolis is that only the core
participants show up, and that cuts into much-needed conference revenue, making
us less self-sufficient.   And so we go to cities that get more attendance.
That doesn't have to be Honolulu, but the advantage of Honolulu is that it's
really easy travel from Asia, but still in the U.S., which apparently is
desirable for some attendees.

It could be argued that we should figure out some other way to solve this
problem, but I don't know of one, and it is incumbent on those seriously
requesting a change to propose one, and not simply say "this sucks."   I think
pretty much everyone understands the "this sucks" part of the equation, so
there's no need to belabor that point.