Re: the ancient location question, was IETF-91 Question

2014-08-12 22:03:11
On Aug 12, 2014, at 9:40 PM, manning bill <bmanning(_at_)isi(_dot_)edu> wrote:
why does it not work for you?   are you being prevented from participating in
multiple areas?

Work being done in the IETF frequently needs cross-area review.   Segregating
the IETF into separate areas that do not meet together would make that sort of
thing either impossible, or much harder for those willing to do it.

Anyway, this is a solution in search of a problem.   It is not clear to me that
tourists are a significant problem at IETF meetings.   Indeed, I would say that
of the problems I'm aware of, tourists barely register.

So whether or not encouraging tourists is architecturally clean, if it helps
fund our work, I think it's a net positive and we should stop worrying about
it.   And anyway today's tourist is tomorrow's contributor.