Re: the ancient location question, was IETF-91 Question

2014-08-13 00:28:39
On 12 Aug 2014, at 23:10, Melinda Shore
<melinda(_dot_)shore(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On 8/12/14 1:55 PM, John Levine wrote:
I understand that Honolulu is closest place in the US to north Asia,

Strictly speaking, Anchorage is more than 1000 miles closer to Beijing
(as far as major US cities go) than Honolulu is and Fairbanks is closer
still, but neither has large enough accomodations for the entire IETF.

Anyway, I'd rather be in Minneapolis, as well.  It's easy to get to and
it has very productive meeting space.  I understand it happens
occasionally but I do wonder how common it is for someone who's an
active participant to skip a meeting because they simply don't like the
venue.

It's a big shame that Minneapolis is no longer on the venue list.
It's my favourite location along with Prague, in terms of venues that maximise
the meeting itself.

I doubt I'll be in Hawaii. But I understand why many want a tourist
destination, and why we rotate around the continents.

Tim