Re: What's an author? [was: Re: Policy and tools regarding the filing of Internet Drafts]

To some extent this thread has been ducking the question that lies behind it.
What is an author, in the IETF context? There's no short answer, so here's
a draft of a long answer. If people think it's useful, I can author an
I-D about it...

I've been working on an RSE statement to provide some guidance here.  I
would rather not see room for diverging direction from the different
document streams, and an IETF-specific definition would likely take us
in that direction.

(I know you know about the draft statement, Brian, but I thought giving
others a heads' up given the topic seemed like a good idea.)

-Heather