Re: Pink Squares

2015-07-24 11:36:52

--On Friday, July 24, 2015 10:33 PM +1200 Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

Also, we *really* need a repeater screen so that the person
speaking can see the slides without eyes in the back of
his/her head. Speaking coherently about a slide that I cannot
see is beyond my powers.

Brian,

I continue to believe that the Meetecho folks are doing a really
excellent job with limited resources and that, if the IETF is
serious about remote participation, we'd be talking at least as
much about resources as about what we "need".

Two examples:

(1) I agree with you about the "repeater screen"/ monitor.  But
every argument for putting one in front of the speaker is an
argument for also putting one in front of the table at which the
chair(s) are typically sitting and several of them at "lots of
people, really long table" events like the IAB and IESG
plenaries.  It would involve a bit of technology to set up, but
it is basically just a money problem.

(2) Zooming out, panning a camera, or shifting between speakers
and chairs or out to the floor mic is easy if one has the right
equipment and enough staff to stay on top of the cameras.
However, that is a resource problem.  During part of the
Apps/ART meeting Monday morning, we had speakers dutifully
standing in the pink square, but the square wasn't in the camera
frame.   It took a while to fix because Meetecho staff were, I
understand, dealing with an emergency in another session.
Keeping a camera pointed at the speaker and zoomed /framed
appropriately isn't rocket science but, at least absent _really_
fancy equipment, requires live an attentive humans with monitors
that show what the cameras are "seeing".  Again, I think mostly
a matter of resources, even if we had to work with local people
to hire secondary school students who, if they listened as well
as pointing cameras, might actually learn something.

    john