RE: Yokohama Hotels Update was Re: [BOFChairs] IETF 94 - Registration and Hotel Information - no availablity

2015-08-17 16:33:00
Hi Ray,
I was surprised at the cancelation policy and the deposit required, this is
not the typical reservation as far as I know for IETF recommended hotels

Roni Even

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Ray Pelletier
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2015 11:57 PM
To: manning
Cc: Working Group Chairs; recentattendees(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; IETF Discussion
Subject: Yokohama Hotels Update was Re: [BOFChairs] IETF 94 - Registration
and Hotel Information - no availablity

All;

Here is where things stand.

1.  "Headquarters Hotel"

Our Host, WIDE, is attempting to obtain more guest rooms in the
InterContinental Yokohama Grand.

The InterContinental Yokohama Grand has 475 standard rooms, but would only
allow us to book 300 rooms on the peak nights of Monday and Tuesday.  They
said they had to accommodate their existing corporate and airline contracts.

Wednesday and Thursdays were contracted for fewer rooms, 289 and 250. We
contracted for the rooms using the usual Bell Curve, which typically
reflects that some folks depart on Wednesday and more on Thursday.  This was
a mistake on our part.  if those rooms had been available we should have
contracted for the max we could get.

2.  Overflow Hotels

We are working with the Japanese Travel Bureau to open the JTB reservation
system for the 4 contracted Overflow Hotels.  Together these hotels have 530
rooms on a peak night, for a total of 3,550 room nights.

One of the 4 will also have the IETF network, courtesy of WIDE.  \

The JTB current system only permits reservations from 31 October to 7
November, not before or after.  We are trying to get that fixed.  We think
that reservations may be open Tuesday, but might be Wednesday.

Our preference would have been to open the Overflow Hotels together with the
Headquarters Hotel.  We did not to provide those needing Visas more time to
process their applications.

3. Alternative Hotels

There are a number of alternative hotels near the Pacifico Yokohama (Meeting
Venue).  The IETF does not have a contract with these hotels, nor is the
IETF network available. This information is provided as a convenience to
meeting attendees. The IETF makes no representation as to availability,
prices, cancellation practices, or Internet quality.

Map of possible alternative hotels:
        https://www.google.com/maps/search/hotels+near+InterContinental+
        Yokohama+Grand,+Yokohama,+Kanagawa+Prefecture,+Japan/%4035.
        4604397,139.6350251,14z?hl=en

You may use your favorite search engines such as:
        http://www.hotels.com/
        http://www.trivago.com/
        https://www.airbnb.com/

You should expect to see an update Tuesday.

Ray