Re: [BOFChairs] IETF 94 - Registration and Hotel Information - no availablity

2015-08-17 12:18:37
On 8/17/15 11:48, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
Speaking from personal experience, I have always found Internet access
in Japanese hotels to be quite excellent even without these upgrades
by our NOC team.

I suspect that the historically destroyed Internet connections in many of the overflow hotels -- and the Maastrict hotel for that matter -- are perfectly adequate for a normal mix of guests. I find it difficult to believe that you could accurately judge what a hotel's performance would be without a load similar to what IETF attendees typically bring with them.

To be clear, issues rise above those of simple bandwidth saturation. Most commonly, I've seen things that I suspect are DHCP pool exhaustion (with results ranging from issuing duplicate addresses (!) to simply being unable to get an address) and NAT port exhaustion (leading to the inability to make or maintain connections). We bring a unique set of stresses to an infrastructure that are way outside the normal envelope.

/a