Re: R: R: [BOFChairs] IETF 94 - Registration and Hotel Information - no availablity

2015-08-17 11:15:17
On 8/16/15 14:08, John C Klensin wrote:
In years past, when we have had a small venue or venue-connected
hotels, we've arranged contracts so that there are really two or
more "official" (even if not all "HQ") hotels, hotels with which
the IETF has contracts that cover relevant policies, Internet
access, etc.

Since you seem to be the one giving reassurances, what are the
actual Yokohama arrangements on the spectrum between "official"
and "nearby"?

I'll note that there are different things that people seem to have raised concerns about here, although the one that I've found most relevant in the past remains unmentioned. For the most part, we replace the Internet backhaul on the official hotel with our overprovisioned pipe that has been arranged for the meeting [1]. This typically leads to a three-tier internet access setup:

 * Conference hotel: flawless or nearly flawless Internet connection
 * Overflow hotel(s): the Internet is completely unusable
 * Nearby hotels: the Internet connection is kind of a craps shoot,
   depending on the number of participants who end up there, and the
   capacity of the Internet link the hotel has

/a

____
[1] Maastricht was a notable exception, and the results were as predictable as they were frustrating.