Re: For Review: IESG Statement on Guidance on Face-to-Face and Virtual Interim Meetings

2015-12-11 04:53:21
The NetMod style interim meetings are an example of the exclusionary problem I see with virtual interims. a) for all practical purposes, decisions are being made at the interims, with some verification on the list. b) that schedule of meetings is inherently exclusionary of a large range of people. Yes, a consistent core of people getting together and working on a project consistently can make more progress. But that is at the price of effectively excluding the alrger community.

We do allow and encourage design teams. And design teams get together in whatever way and schedule they want.

However, a design team has to thoroughly justify there results to the working group, and get meaningful concurrence. Merely confirm acceptance is not usually sufficient for design team outputs..

Yours,
Joel