RE: For Review: IESG Statement on Guidance on Face-to-Face and Virtual Interim Meetings

2015-12-11 05:24:39
Hi Benoit,

Of course. But white board activity can happen at interim f2f meetings, as well
as at regular IETF meetings. It is clear that remote attendance cannot cover
white board sessions, as it cannot cover hallway discussions. There are clear
limits to what remote participation can achieve. Yet, IMO, we (the IETF) need
to make sure that remote participation - within the understood limitations - is
provided as an alternative for those who cannot afford for one reason or
another attending f2f meetings.

Regards,

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Benoit Claise [mailto:bclaise(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com]
Sent: Friday, December 11, 2015 11:22 AM
To: Romascanu, Dan (Dan); Jari Arkko
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: For Review: IESG Statement on Guidance on Face-to-Face and
Virtual Interim Meetings

Hi Dan,

I understand your arguments: cost and the ease of having a
meetecho/webex these days.
However, I've been in at least one interim meeting focused on white board
sessions.
And, even with all the good will, white board sessions and remote
participations, just don't work together.

I favor a should in your initial sentence:
     "Remote participation (via Meetecho or similar) must be provided"

Regards, Benoit
Hi Jari,

I oscillated between 'should' and 'must' myself. The principal reason I
ended with a 'must' was that agreeing on exceptions can be perceived as
excluding people from the process. In the real world some of us live
justifying funds for 1-2 days interim of one WG is more difficult than
getting a
full IETF week approved. Remote participation is the only option. The 'must'
requirement also seems pretty ubiquitous nowadays - it translates into 'the
host of a f2f interim must ensure that a microphone and external phone
connection exists in the room and the chairs must activate Meetecho or
Webex'.

Regards,

Dan