Re: Concerns about Singapore

2016-04-07 15:08:26

On 07 Apr 2016, at 17:00, Mikael Abrahamsson
<swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se> wrote:

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016, Leif Johansson wrote:

​No, I meant that IETF would be doing a disservice to a large part of
the world (that has on its books these laws). We need to have a nuanced
approach and this being another factor in a multitude of factors. Having
a blanket rule that the IETF will not go to any such place is something
I disagree with.

Where do you draw the line then?

I think it's impossible to draw a firm line. Most of it is grey area.

I'm sure I could come up with arguments why we should not go to USA or Sweden
for our meetings, because neither place if perfect.

Right. And since Leif mentioned censorship, let me note that IETF already held
a meeting in a country where censorship, and Internet censorship in particular,
is commonplace.

There are numerous very "offensive" (or replace with "weird" or some other
word) laws on the books in most countries, and I do think we have to look at
how those laws are applied as part of our process in deciding where to go.

Yes, and speaking of myself, I am prepared, to a reasonable degree, to adjust
my behaviour to those laws (and cultural habits as well).

Lada

There are no perfect places to go. There are bad and less bad ones.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se

--
Ladislav Lhotka, CZ.NIC Labs
PGP Key ID: E74E8C0C