Re: China

2016-04-08 08:54:50
There is another side to this, although I don't disagree with either of you
on the China observation.

The other side is this: it's tempting to say that since in the U.S. up
until recently, gay rights weren't a thing, and yet we held meetings in the
U.S., the same should apply elsewhere.   However, consider this: until
fairly recently, in the United States, if your spouse happened to be the
same sex, and got ill, or if a child got ill, there was a very, very real
chance that you would not only be excluded from making decisions about
their health options, you might be prevented from even being in the same
room with them.

This was something we tolerated in meeting venues because we didn't really
have a choice until fairly recently, other than simply restricting our
meetings to Europe and perhaps some parts of Asia.

Now that this is no longer an issue at least legally in the U.S., it would
be a backslide to go to a place where it still is an issue, even though we
tolerated this risk in the past.   I am fortunate enough to be married to
someone for whom this risk does not exist for me at present (although it
would have in the past, since she is from a different religious heritage
than I).   It breaks my heart to hear stories of the horror that gay
couples have gone through because of discrimination of this sort and other
sorts.   I am not okay with being party to that happening in the future.

I agree that engagement is important, but let us bear in mind the risks we
are asking our friends and colleagues to bear when we have this discussion.