Re: China

2016-04-08 08:35:18
On Fri, Apr 08, 2016 at 04:28:18AM -0700, Ole Jacobsen wrote:
I will just add that "engagement" is often seen as a better strategy
than "boycott" in many circles, but we don't need to have that debate
here and now :-)

This also covers much of my opinion.  In the absence of outright impact to
safety, it's better to engage.  Such engagement might imply an inquiry by
the IETF (potentially via either IAOC, IAB or whatever portion of IETF
"management" is deemed appropriate) to the host government as to the
concerns of the IETF for the welfare of its membership.

Laws and social norms shift at speeds even slower than our RFC process.  But
similarly, legal consensus is shaped by participation.  "We're concerned,
could you please clarify" may help refine the opinion of the host government
while simultaneously clarifying membership welfare issues.

-- Jeff