China

2016-04-08 06:29:05

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016, Christian Hopps wrote:

I actually did not attend that meeting for this very reason. I am
very proud to be a part of IETF and the open and inclusive process
in which we work. I found it very odd, and disheartening that this
site was chosen, and skipped it in protest.

Chris.

Christian,

I am sorry to hear that. Our "open and inclusive process" comprises
many participants from China who have traditionally faced harsh and
unpredictable visa problems in North America. In fairness to them, we
held that meeting in Beijing. Note that we did so following an
extensive discussion on the IETF mailing list and after negotiating
the removal of a rather ominous hotel clause, as well as an unfiltered
network in the meeting venue.

I will just add that "engagement" is often seen as a better strategy
than "boycott" in many circles, but we don't need to have that debate
here and now :-)

Ole