Re: Meetecho was Re: Concerns about Singapore

2016-04-12 07:20:08
On Mon, 11 Apr 2016, Jared Mauch wrote:

On Apr 11, 2016, at 8:08 PM, <lloyd(_dot_)wood(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk>
<lloyd(_dot_)wood(_at_)yahoo(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

try listening to the first twenty minutes of this.
then tell me if IETF WG meetings with remote presentation
via Meetecho are anything other than a complete waste
of time.

The NTPWG had a very successful experience, including remote presenters, and
remote people going back and forth with their interaction.

I would say your experience is atypical, and certainly not the desired outcome.

+1 on this.

I have spent the past meetings doing frequent jabber scribe work. I use Meetecho to do this, and I place myself next to the front participant mic (so I can see the name tag of the person speaking), and then I type on jabber the name of who the person speaking in the mic. There is (I've been told) now a suggestion to the IETF secritariat to reserve the seat next to the front mic (at table) for Jabber scribe, and this would be great. Now we just need to teach everybody to flash their badge to the jabber scribe as well.

I have long offered to call out the slides (which is typically needed for people who are on audio+jabber only) if someone wanted it, but the past few meetings nobody has requested that. My guess is that most people use Meetecho because it gives the complete view of what's going on, you get chat+presentation+video+sound, and you can also ask questions (which was used numerous times in the sessions I participated in).

Generally, I'm very happy with Meetecho (wonders of HTML5+WEBRTC to be able to run this in just a browser). There were some initial sound problems on monday morning, but that was quickly rectified.

I also really appreciate the fact that I can call out "meetecho" in the jabber room to notify them of potential problems, and they immediately dispatch someone to fix the problem (including alerting the A/V crew if it's a local issue).

So while there were a few hiccups, I'd say most of the time Meetecho and the local A/V works great.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike(_at_)swm(_dot_)pp(_dot_)se