Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-21 16:43:32
Hello Melinda,

I love Chicago. But some stupidity in the US system means that citizens
there are now able to carry concealed guns pretty much anywhere anytime.
I will no longer feel comfortable there next time I visit.

I can respect that, but let's be clear about the issue with
Singapore: relationships between men are criminal offenses.
I think there's a distinction to be drawn between being at
risk from the environment and being at risk from the state.

there is a distinction for sure, but I'm not sure which one is worse. I have a friend of mine who is in relationship with other man. They went to Singapore for business reason about a year ago. They felt safer than in Dallas (being there also for business about three years ago) - I just verified this findings over e-mail.

All venues have their own issues (including those in the US). Some issues are "issues" in some brains, some are objective (size of the meeting, public safety, distance). With full respect to your opinions, I do not give so much priority to them.

And as I wrote once - we need better solution for virtual meetings, so anyone can participate effectively from his living room or office. So lets focus on this topic and try not dance (too much) on meeting venue selection process.

            Michal

P.S: We can put into discussion every meeting from IETF 1 and find issues in the location.

P.P.S: I see one big issue (or missed opportunity) with meeting selection in last five years - we did not placed bid for Mistral ships so France sold them to Egypt. But Brazil has one second hand aircraft carrier to be decommissioned, so we can jump on this opportunity.