Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-22 10:57:53
On Sun, 22 May 2016, Ted Hardie wrote:

I think the diversity principle is not "hold meetings in different places", which
would put a premium on novelty, but on "hold meetings so that the disadvantages of
travel are equally distributed".  It may well be that only a small number of places
meet our bar for inclusiveness, and that we shuttle among them.  As long as that
shuttling still spreads the disadvantages of travel equally, we meet the goal.

I strongly disagree. It is not about novelty at all. It is about
being local to more people who otherwise cannot attend. Look at our
last meeting, which was a first in South America. The number of South
American participants was very high, and full of first time attendees.

If the price for that is that some frequent attendees have to miss an
occasional meeting, then I think that is worth it and still complies
with our policies of trying to be as inclusive as possible.

Paul