Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-23 10:16:53
Thanks all for this discussions — keep it coming. I wanted to say that we from
the IAOC are listening actively, even if we haven’t posted much. Your thoughts
will inform us on what to decide.

I did have a couple of points to make at this stage, however. The first one is
that really, it is the community opinion that ultimately counts. It will
probably take some time, but completing Fred’s document is important and will
tell us the *community’s* opinion on things that have been discussed in this
thread among others.

And obviously we all care a lot about making sure everyone is included and
everyone’s safety is guaranteed and everyone’s ability to join the meetings is
maximised. I do want to remind everyone that these things cover a fair number
of different issues, all of which are legitimate. Of course, there are some
issues that are more important than others, such as ability to enter and
safety. There are also issues that people have difficulty or unwillingness to
bring up. Hence it is important we try to understand the full picture, and
learn, as the IAOC certainly is trying to do albeit perhaps slowly :-) I
believe we are getting a lot of good information by crowdsourcing finding the
issues. As you know, the IAOC is now providing early information about where we
might be going.

Also, wanted to note that one thing that I find personally difficult is that
the situation related to any particular issue is rarely binary. And the issues
are timing dependent as well. Changes in visa and other policies, disease
situations etc.

Jari