Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-23 09:36:41
On 5/22/2016 2:04 PM, Melinda Shore wrote:
Allow me to suggest that avoiding disadvantaging people who do not
actually participate might be somewhat lower priority than avoiding
disadvantaging those who do.

+10

The model which asserts that choosing meeting venues is a way to recruit participants has no objective basis -- and that's after 30 years of opportunity to demonstrate otherwise. It frankly serves to work against the basic goal of having most work done on mailing lists, by selling a cultural view that meetings are primary.

Anyone who wants to participate in the IETF already can. All they need is an Internet connection. It doesn't even have to be a good one, since IETF list mail only consumes extremely low bandwidth and is an asynchronous form of use.

F2F meetings permit /added/ efficiency for those who are /already/ participating.

Moving the venue is /not/ for permitting attendance by those who otherwise can't attend, but (is supposed to be) to share the pain among those who do attend.

The outreach goal cited for some venue choices is well-intentioned but unfortunately misguided and probably counter-productive to the IETF's main work.