Re: [Recentattendees] IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input

2016-05-23 12:19:03
Re: smaller number of locations.

I think we’ve heard the sentiment from the community, and I think some of the
results of that wish are already visible in the upcoming meeting locations that
have been announced. That is, out of the 6 out of the 7 known upcoming cities
are repeats, Singapore being the exception. Out of the 6 repeats, we’re also
often using same hotels*, and 5 out of the 6 we have been to already more than
once. The same trend is likely to continue in the meeting locations that
haven’t been selected yet.

Also, in general, our policy has already been that we’d like to see a local
community. The IETF leadership gets occasional requests for "the IETF to come
to a country", and we say that’s great, we’re happy that you are interested,
lets talk about ways to increase participation rather than a meeting. Some of
us may be able to talk at their events, we can help educate how to participate
in the IETF, we can establish connections with ISOC, put some local
organisations together, etc.

So I think we all pretty much agree that the sort of blind, out-of-the-blue
participation at a meeting site is unlikely to happen and not the goal of our
meeting selections.

However, that does not mean there is no value in *some* rotation and change.
Balanced against extra effort for research and learning with a new hotel. From
a pure contracting perspective it is good to have options, too. But more
importantly, continents are big. Our participants already come from many
different countries and places, and spreading the travel pain within a
continent may be a consideration as well. The closer you are, the more likely
you are to be able to attend.

(And we should probably move this discussion to mtgvenue, because this isn’t
about IETF #100.)

Jari

*) being intentionally vague here