Re: build personal contacts outside of meetings [was IETF 100, Singapore -- proposed path forward and request for input]

2016-05-24 09:08:22
Kathleen,

Our "remote meeting" efforts address the participation in discussions, but
they are still a bit dry. We do have mentoring efforts, but they seem to
only happen during meetings.
Just FYI, we have remote mentoring Proof of Concept started with Internet
Draft Review Teams.  I know we will have some false starts but I have great
hopes for this initiative. Quite >>few teams are forming.
I see people from Latin America helping people in China and India.  I,
myself, will be doing a webcast with India and Singapore later this week.
We need to figure out what works and what does not before scaling this
initiative.  This type of mentoring will be all year round and not tied to
meetings.

From my own experience mentoring, structure and setting expectations for both
the mentee and mentor are critical.  I don't think these guidelines have been
used yet, but they have >helped other programs build successful mentor
relationships:
- mentee is expected to schedule each meeting>- mentee is expected to come
ready with a set of questions and objectives for each meeting>- mentee should
provide follow up with results from advice or discussion
These guidelines apply for remote or face to face and should be pretty obvious
how they help both sides, so I won't get into that
Kathleen, thank you for your comments.  We are working with both mentors and
mentees to help them work with each other and build successful teams.  We are
also growing the Mentoring Team.  Much discussion is being had behind the
scenes.
To the community: the mentoring team REALLY appreciates your support and
patience while we build the program and work out the kinks in the system.   We
will be having a session from Mentoring on Internet Draft Review Teams at
IETF96 as well as Mentor / Mentee Feedback session as always.  I urge anyone
interested to attend and give us feedback or see what is going on.  You can
also find me in hallways, etc at IETF96.   This is all very exciting.

I also appreciate your patience if the first few times, the posting to the WG
email lists by review teams could be better.  It will happen.  This is a
Work-in-progress.  If anyone wants to help in any way, please email me unicast.
Thanks again, Kathleen.  I appreciate you taking the time to think about this
issue.
Nalini