Re: IAOC requesting input on (potential) meeting cities

2017-04-03 12:32:43

On 4/3/2017 9:39 AM, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ wrote:
I’m not convinced (despite laws may say it), if computer inspection, even
“temporal” confiscation, is being used in EU. At least I never heard about
that, and even less in my own country, though I may be missing cases in other
EU countries.
You are indeed missing something.

Here is one pretty famous case, happened in Heathrow: Greenwald's
partner detained, thumb drives confiscated.
http://www.thedrum.com/news/2013/08/19/snowden-documents-seized-heathrow-intimidation-says-greenwald-his-partner-detained

Here is a clip about Canada's refusal to disclose laptop search policy:
http://boingboing.net/2010/02/09/canadian-customs-ref.html

Article 60 of French custom code authorizes inspection of anything you
carry, can be interpreted as authorizing search of laptops or cell phones:
https://www.legifrance.gouv.fr/affichCode.do;jsessionid=AA678D3E2AC873493D4025F33776856A.tpdila20v_2?idSectionTA=LEGISCTA000006138841&cidTexte=LEGITEXT000006071570&dateTexte=20130315

Various European countries, including the UK and France, have passed
inquisitive snooping laws. Maybe they are less visible than what happens
in the US, but I would not hold my breath...

-- Christian Huitema

Definitively if that happens to me in EU, I will not provide passwords even
if I don’t have anything to hide, but just because customer’s info
confidentiality, signed NDAs, etc. I don’t think that will bring me to the
jail. However, in US, detention is a fact, right?

Regards,
Jordi