Re: Registration for remote participation

2017-05-09 15:31:22
Hi Stephen,

On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 1:08 PM, Stephen Farrell
<stephen(_dot_)farrell(_at_)cs(_dot_)tcd(_dot_)ie>
wrote:

No major objection but a few minor comments:-

- I'd be happier if there was a re-iteration that we're not going
to charge remote folks until the remote input experience is much
better and the community have agreed to such charging.
- I think there ought be some ack that this policy (if applied)
may be tee-ing up charging remote folks, as something that might
be needed depending on how the remove/on-site ratios evolve. (It
seemed odd to me that charging was not mentioned.)

As someone who argued against mentioning registration fees when Alissa
shared a draft, you can at least partially blame me for the oddity.  I
still don't think it belongs in this message, because what we face at the
moment is data so noisy that we can't tell how many people we're serving at
all nor who and where they are.  Because we can't tell who we're serving,
we can't tell whether the service is fit for the purpose very easily.

If they are primarily folks in the hotel, who can't be in two rooms at
once, we have one set of issues; if they are primarily folks at the end of
low bandwidth, high RTT paths to the venue, we have a very different set of
issues.  We also don't know reliably whether we have a small coterie of
very dedicated remote participants or a wide smattering of folks dipping
their toes in for a session or two.

We need that data first.

Once we have it, there may be many things in the set of ways to support the
service that come to light; since those might be fund raising from external
parties rather than charging, I don't think we ought to anticipate that
stage at this one.

Hope that makes sense,

Ted

- IIRC, there were a couple of times in the 2 meetings when I was
remote where I needed to get in to meetecho a 2nd time with a
different ID. While that particular bug may be fixed (or maybe
was on my side, not meetecho's) it'd be a shame if folks could
not do that kind of thing. I'm not sure how that'd best be handled.

Cheers,
S.