Re: Registration for remote participation

2017-05-10 12:56:28

David Farmer <farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu> wrote:
    > Country of residence is asked for, but it sounds like you really want
    > to know where they will be viewing from, not where they live. For some
    > set of use cases they will be aligned, but others they won't.

I think we want country of resident to understand if the travel costs were a
factor.   I think we also want to know their country of citizenship, because
passport/visa issues are also relevant.
I also think we want an IPv4 and IPv6 AS traceroute to their host at the
time of registration.  We also need a log of how many sessions they got to.
In some cases people will register, and then either not attend any sessions
for some reason, or fail to actually connect.

We need to survey people afterwards, and asking the country/visa/etc. issues
afterwards would be better, as would capturing output from something like
ipv6-test.com.

    > There is another important use case, similar to "be in two rooms at
    > once", that is a temporary need to leave the meeting site, such as to
    > receive medical treatment for chronic conditions or simply just other
    > business in the meeting city. As someone who has recently began

I connected to the 11am Friday CORE meeting from the airport departure
lounge at IETF98.  I just couldn't stay longer on Friday and still return in
time for my wife's birthday.  (She has celebrated at least five birthdays
*AT* IETF...)

    > needing treatment while traveling. You frequently have little choice
    > over when a treatment slot is made available to you, usually you have
    > to take what they can give you. Good remote participation options,
    > make this less burdensome.

Good point.
It also might be good if meetecho let us join two meetings at the same time.
(It actually works to open two tabs, although the audio is hard for the brain
to demux...)

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-