Re: Registration for remote participation

2017-05-09 17:47:16
On Tue, May 9, 2017 at 3:30 PM, David Farmer <farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu> wrote:

If they are primarily folks in the hotel, who can't be in two rooms at
once, we have one set of issues; if they are primarily folks at the end of
low bandwidth, high RTT paths to the venue, we have a very different set of
issues.  We also don't know reliably whether we have a small coterie of
very dedicated remote participants or a wide smattering of folks dipping
their toes in for a session or two.

You mention the "be in two rooms at once" use case, but given the proposed
information to be requested for registration, how would you capture that
use case?  Maybe you should ask that directly, like; "Are you also
attending the meeting in person?"

You can identify that by noting that the registration ID used to
participate using the remote tools was that of a user who registered to be
on site. If they picked up their badge, you can then determine that they
were on site.  You can't distinguish someone watching from a hotel room
from someone watching from a different meeting room this way, though.

Country of residence is asked for, but it sounds like you really want to
know where they will be viewing from, not where they live.  For some set of
use cases they will be aligned, but others they won't.

There is another important use case, similar to "be in two rooms at once",
that is a temporary need to leave the meeting site, such as to receive
medical treatment for chronic conditions or simply just other business in
the meeting city.  As someone who has recently began needing treatment
while traveling. You frequently have little choice over when a treatment
slot is made available to you, usually you have to take what they can give
you.  Good remote participation options, make this less burdensome.

Thanks

regards,

Ted

Once we have it, there may be many things in the set of ways to support
the service that come to light; since those might be fund raising from
external parties rather than charging, I don't think we ought to anticipate
that stage at this one.

Hope that makes sense,

Ted

The proposal is as follows:

Remote participants would be required to register (for free) by
providing the information below (* denotes required fields). Registration
would be mandatory to access MeetEcho sessions in real time and to join the
remote mic queue during a session.

Title
First / Given Name*
Last / Family Name*
Company / Organization
ISO 3166 Country of Residence*
Email*
Gender
Have you attended an IETF meeting in person before?
Have you attended an IETF meeting remotely before?

Upon registering, participants would be issued a registration ID, just
as they are today.

David Farmer               Email:farmer(_at_)umn(_dot_)edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815 <(612)%20626-0815>
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952 <(612)%20812-9952>