Re: The need for two headers

2004-02-08 01:00:00

On Sun, Feb 08, 2004 at 01:24:55PM +1100, Brett Watson wrote:

Another desirable difference in mail-ng would be for all the
delivery metadata to be transported to the MUA.

Agreed. As a consequence we have another requirement:

We need to standardize and precisely define how this metadata
looks like to allow other programs and the MUA to read them.

Currently we have a djungle of different flavours. Every MTA uses
a different kind of Received line. Every mailing list processor
adds different headers. Every MTA has different error messages
sent back. This must have an end.

Those metadata need to be put in a precise protocol. There might be a
human readable part, but the main information must have exactly the
same format for all implementations.

Hadmut