Re: The need for two headers

2004-02-08 01:39:55

On 8-feb-04, at 3:24, Brett Watson wrote:

Another desirable difference in mail-ng would be for all the delivery metadata to be transported to the MUA. At the moment, only that portion of the delivery metadata which finds its way into the 822 headers is transported to the MUA. Much of the routing information has been lost by this point in time, especially if the message has been forwarded from one address to another in transit. I see no reason why the complete delivery path information should not be available to the MUA. (It's not always clear *why* a particular item has been delivered to you, and having its full routing history can help.)

I find having all this "received by" "virus-scanned by" "43 ant-spam tests done" and so on stuff that can be found in many messages today rather annoying. For mailing list messages the headders are often bigger than the message itself. We really need to make people use a bit more restraint here.

Maybe a mechanism that lets the sender and/or the receiver indicate how much "life history" they want to be recorded would be in order? Then this kind of stuff can be left out or if it's already there, removed if this is desired.

I fully agree with the idea that we need to separate three types of information: the actual message, end-to-end metadata and hop-by-hop metadata.