mharc-users

Re: Procmail problem?

2002-11-19 12:19:37
On November 19, 2002 at 12:47, "Christopher P. Lindsey" wrote:

I haven't actually tried using mharc yet, so I might be full of it.  But
I was wondering; is there any reason why the entire message is passed to
extract-mesg-date?  i.e.

 :0 Wi
 MESGDATE_=| /tmp/bin/extract-mesg-date -fmt '%Y-%m'

Could that be done as

 :0 Wih
 MESGDATE_=| /tmp/bin/extract-mesg-date -fmt '%Y-%m'

instead?

Probably something I overlooked.

I do feel that some of the other ones (like mkdir) shouldn't be
pipes; i.e.

 :0 Wic
 * ? test ! -d $MBOXROOT/.catch
 | mkdir -m 755 -p $MBOXROOT/.catch

takes the message body and header and pumps it through mkdir and makes
a new copy of the message in memory; doing

 :0
 * ? test ! -d $MBOXROOT/.catch
 `mkdir -m 755 -p $MBOXROOT/.catch`

The procmail manpages did not mention the use of `cmd` (although
I do see it used in the procmailex manpage), but I was not sure of
the operational sematics of using them.  I'm assuming that the recipe
you gave will not cause rule processing to terminate?  The reason for
the existing recipe is I did not want the mkdir command to terminate
processing of a message.

BTW, mharc auto-generates the procmailrc from a archive lists definition
file.  Hence, to make any changes to how rules are generated requires
changes to mharc's mk-procmailrc program.

--ewh