mhonarc-users

Re: Month based archiving using mhonarc?

1998-04-21 12:29:01
On Tue, 21 Apr 1998 00:51:52 +0100 (BST)
Claire McNab<claire(_at_)siberia(_dot_)demon(_dot_)co(_dot_)uk> wrote:

On 15 Apr 98 at 10:07, J C Lawrence wrote:
How heavily is Wilma tied to archiove2.pl?  I have a large number
of messages in MH folders which I've run thru MHonArc and would now
like to (ie desperately need to) add a strong search feature.  I've
no problem with re-running MHonArc if that's needed.

Sorry if thiis has already been suggested, but have you looked at
Marc-Search?

It's a very powerful, very neat Perl jobbie.

Yep, I'm using it right now (with minor problems*).  The advantage of
Wilma is that it uses Glimpse, and thus the expense of doing the
actual seach is done at the time of building the glimpse index and not
(comparitively) at the time of invoking the search.  Marc-Search works
nicey -- except that it runs a perl filter across every page it is
trying to match for every search that a user launches.  That's
expensive when you have a lot of pages.  With Wilma glimpse can build
the index during off-hours, and then user searches merely extract from
a decently optimised index.

* My problem with Marc-Search is that attempting to continue a search
doesn't work.  It will very happily show you the first X matches for
your expression, and you can vary X across all the standard numbers
(25, 50, all etc), but if there are more than X matches total it
won't show you the second or third X matches.  I've yet to dig into
why this happens.

--
J C Lawrence                               Internet: claw(_at_)null(_dot_)net
(Contractor)                               Internet: coder(_at_)ibm(_dot_)net