Re: [Nmh-workers] masquerade settings & spost

2012-02-06 22:46:15
    Date:        Mon, 06 Feb 2012 22:41:14 -0500
    From:        Ken Hornstein <kenh(_at_)pobox(_dot_)com>

  | For the record ... it looks like what nmh does is that it picks the
  | last one and uses that as the envelope from.

That's broken, none of the From: addresses necessarily meets the
(semantic) requirements for the Sender (and envelope from).

I didn't get to see what was inserted in the message I sent before,
I didn't cc it to myself, and the list replaces the Sender with one
of its own choosing (and without altering the Message-ID, which is
broken behaviour, not that that is relevant to nmh).

But the Sender in my message should have been
kre(_at_)epsilon(_dot_)noi(_dot_)kre(_dot_)to
If it wasn't in the copy you should have received without passing
through the list, then nmh is broken.   I didn't put a Sender header in
the draft (not even sure if nmh permits me to, there are certainly some
it won't allow) that value is what should have been calculated.

One of the things MH always stood for was interpreting the mail standards
strictly, not just "anything that make other mailers happy" - and much of
the complexity is there to try as hard as possible to make that be true.

MH knows that it is going to be installed on systems that aren't "correctly"
configured (whatever your idea is on what that should be) but needs to work
anyway, that's what a lot of the masquerade stuff is about - it allows the
person who installs nmh (MH) to configure it to do the right thing, when the
default code, that extracts the info from the system, cannot possibly work.

Please don't reduce nmh to being just another mailer in the "as long as it
works with outlook it is OK" camp that so many others have fallen into.
It must continue to be semantically, as well as syntactically, correct.
Even if the code to do that is not easy to make work, or understand.

kre