Re: [Nmh-workers] possible problem with mhfixmsg in nmh-1.7

2017-11-26 18:40:46
Steven wrote:

I've run into a few issues, most of which are trivial (and which I'll
describe below for the sake of completeness),

Thank you for for detail description.  It looks like Ralph has addressed
the substantive issues.

The other issues I mentioned are:

  - It would be really nice if configure and Makefile.in didn't force a
    trailing /nmh on the pathnames I supply for libexecdir and sysconfdir.

Forcing them seems to be a common convention.  It does help avoid namespace
collisions.

Understood, and when nmh is installed under /usr this makes perfect sense.

In my case I was eager to get my hands on 1.7 rather than wait for it to
be packaged by the OS maintainers, and I purposely keep all my locally
installed packages out of any directory at risk of being overwritten in
a future OS upgrade.

In this case that resulted in the

   /big/local/pkg/nmh

directory referred to in a previous message in this thread.  For
completeness, my installation unpacks the source archive into

   /big/local/pkg/nmh/nmh-1.7

...and all of the installed files go into subdirectories of

   /big/local/pkg/nmh/root-nmh-1.7

This also has the (intentional :-) side effect of making it easy for
multiple versions to coexist.  (On one server I still have 1.4 installed
because at least one user preferred to keep using it rather than learn
how things changed in 1.6 :-/).

Under these circumstances the extra nmh subdirectory isn't helpful, which
is why I wanted to avoid using it.

I know I'm in a minority here, which is why I requested a configure option
rather than an outright change.

  Thanks,

     - Steven
Steven Winikoff                |
Concordia University           | "My interest is in the future because I
Montreal, QC, Canada           |  am going to spend the rest of my life
Steven.Winikoff@concordia.ca   |  there."

--
Nmh-workers