Re: Help with auto-reply

1997-03-10 19:06:30

On March 10, 1997, Jim De Arras <jmd(_at_)cube(_dot_)WestLab(_dot_)com> said:
Philip Guenther wrote:

[Please keep your lines around 70 some characters long.]

Get a reader that wraps long lines, don't expect the world to conform to
your reader's needs.

Right.  And get a newsreader with the ability to filter out spam, and a
mail processing program with the ability to filter out spam.  Don't expect
the world to conform to your reader's needs.  Even if they're a de-facto
standard.  Even if they're part of the usenet posting guidelines that I, at
least, had to read before I felt I could post.

80-char terminals are standard.  It's considered polite to not use lines
longer than that.  It's as simple as that.  You don't have to be polite,
but we don't have to read you if you're not.

-roy
Roy S. Rapoport
rsr(_at_)aonix(_dot_)com
http://www.aonix.com     Phone: 415-543-1314x280            Fax: 415-543-0145