Re: Help with auto-reply

1997-03-12 07:38:41
Donald E. Hammond wrote:
I figured it was probably just too much caffeine, but this takes the
cake.  A politely phrased (and _correct_) request, get's this kind of
response?

You see, there's the problem.  The assumption that you are correct, and
I am not.  That is dictation, not discussion.

Logic dictates that if your's can handle both, and others'
can't ...  Oh, why bother.

I received as many responses suggesting I should replace my software, to
accomidate others.

In your eyes netiquette may change, but manners, and a cooperative
spirit ought to be a constant.

Netiquette does change and is changing.  And yet where have you seen me
post a message outside even your guidelines?  I just expressed my
preferences, and pointed out that the world is changing, 80 (or is it
72, 78?) char lines have NO meaning in proportional font displays, which
are becoming the norm.  Fixed point characters were a patch for early
typewriters and dumb terminal displays, the alphabet has ALWAYS had
variable letter spacing.  They will soon be just a side note in the
history of computers.

Contrasted with self-importance and
impertinence, you make my choice simple.

Funny, you are the one who declared his position explicitly"_correct_"!

Welcome to my kill file.

A closed mind is no loss to me, and being in a kill file is an honor, as
it tends to show the killer cannot respond with any other logic.  IMHO,
as always.  I have no kill file, I am open to all points of view.

 - Don

Jim