Re: DEFAULT=MAILDIR/mbox won't work

2000-09-06 21:58:31
At 23:23 2000-09-06 -0500, Mike McNally wrote:
If I comment the DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox line then fetchmail will get the

Note that fetchmail will _fetch_ messages reguardless of what your procmail is configured like here...

#.procmail#################
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
MAILDIR=$HOME/Mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mbox
SHELL=/bin/bash
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail

:0
* ^From: bob*
asap

:0:
$DEFAULT

this says: "on no conditions whatsoever (i.e. message got here)", store the message in (expand) "$HOME/Mail/mbox"

This *IS* different from /var/spool/mail/username

Unless you're doing something particular to the message (a header filter for instance), the final delivery to $DEFAULT is unnecessary if you're leaving $DEFAULT as the mail spool, in which case you WOULD NOT actually define $DEFAULT -- procmail will do that by itself, uhm, by default.

How precisely did you expect it to work? I mean, where is it you want the messages stored, and why is it you're setting default to point to someplace other than where you want the messages to go?

uncomment lines one at a time until the last line default= is
uncommented and then it won't put the mail in the spool file.  But it

see above - you're deliberatley telling it to NOT put it in the spool file.

can't put it in my mbox either.  It seems like permissions or failure of
the lockfile to function.  Please help, this first attempt at unix mail

Well, uhm, what are the permissions of the $HOME/Mail folder, and the $HOME/Mail/mbox file?

but sending from a(_at_)box to b(_at_)box doesn't involve fetchmail, it I
understand correctly.  So maybe I need this line in my exim.conf.  That
file is still a bit overwelming.  Any help there would be great.

I've no familiarity with exim. Is this a sendmail replacement? If so, is there any particular reason you are using it over a recent stable release of sendmail? I ask, because sendmail is well known in these circles, whereas I've not heard (much) of exim WRT procmail.

 Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395