Re: DEFAULT=MAILDIR/mbox won't work

2000-09-07 21:46:25
Nope.  I created the .procmail in vim.  Viewing the log^M file in vim I
can see that procmail is looking for names ending in ^M:

but then vim'ing the .procmail.... well if I can see em in log^M, why
wouldn't I be able to see um in .procmail.  The problem is in the
handshaking between exim and procmail.  I will CC this to the exim
list.  And by the way, I renamed the files name^M and opened up the
permissions to 777 and procmail still can't write to the directories.  I
will even do your sed script.  Go figure, it didn't work.

mike

Professional Software Engineering wrote:

At 20:23 2000-09-07 -0500, Mike McNally elucidated thus:

I had to change the logfile to be sent to my home dir as procmail could
not access my Mail.

(problem associated with the presence of CRs in the .procmailrc, see below).

procmail: error while writing to "/home/mike/Mail^M/mbox^M"
                                                   ^^     ^^
This is definatley a problem, as I'm sure you don't actually have a
directory called "Mail^M"...

This of course explains the "?" characters which were trailing your files
earlier when you posted permission info.

and it didn't help.  Are the ^M's a problem?  I didn't put any ^M's in
the .procmailrc.

Yes you did - not deliberatley, but perchance did you edit this on a
DOS/Windows box and FTP it over in BINARY mode, or edit it via an SMB share?

You need to strip the ^M characters - they're CR's - DOS uses CR+LF, *nix
uses just LF:

mv .procmailrc .procmailrc.bak
sed 's/^M$//' < .procmailrc.bak > .procmailrc

I'd suggest that you reconsider whatever method you're presently using to
edit files - including OTHER config files, as this can most definatley lead
to problems, and not just with procmail.

Can I change the match rule to

:0:
* ^*                            #or * ^[        ]*
$MAILDIR/mbox

FYI - get in the habit of NOT putting comments on the same line - they're
interpreted as part of the regexp.  Block comments ABOVE the rule.

So that I can at least see it move msgs to a collecting dir.  I can
refine the matching later.  I'll try both.

Neither of the two regexps are valid - well, the first is blatantly
invalid, and the other will only match lines beginning with one or more
tabs or spaces (which may never be encountered).

If it is the default, you don't need to match anything - no match condition
line whatsoever, and the messages will be deposited into the folder.

Fix your CR problem first.

  Post Box 2395 / San Rafael, CA  94912-2395