Re: DEFAULT=MAILDIR/mbox won't work

2000-09-07 15:25:50
Professional Software Engineering wrote:

I'll try again - what is it you're trying to accomplish?

I have mail from bob, a user on my system, and mail from everyone else.
I want to sort these two types of incoming mail into seperate
containers.  I have reviewed 6 .procmailrc's (3 of which came with the
procmail package) and all of them use lines like the ones you strongly
object to, to do just this.  But let's do it your way, and let's
simplify the problem by ignoring the need to parse mail from bob.
Here's the .procmailrc.

PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/bin:.
MAILDIR=/var/spool/mail
DEFAULT=$MAILDIR/mikesmail
LOGFILE=$MAILDIR/from
#LOCKFILE=$HOME/.lockmail       commented out as you advised

#removed the bob sort as just having mail from bob dropped into mbox
will
#be good for a start

#and if I comment out the default line in hopes of procmail just
creating the one
#dir, even that seems too much to ask for this program

it doesn't work

By way of analogy, what I want to do is set one hat on the floor and
throw cards into it.  You have asked me why I want to throw the cards
into a hat when I could just throw them on the floor and that would be
simpler.  Well, you can only simplify sorting so far and then you don't
have sorting.  If I can't set up containers into which things can be
sorted, then I can't sort.  To simplify the problem I just want one
container for now.  So lend me a hat, please. ;)

I am aware that I will have to instruct mutt into where to go to find
the directories I will be setting up with procmail but this is
elementary, as should be the creation of containers for mail to be
sorted into.  But it's getting to be a real headache.

Cordially,
Mike McNally