Re: Procmail development (Was: is this procmail rant justified?)

2002-02-06 17:23:22
What's the problem?  Why does "relay1.rwth-aachen.de" say my domain does not
resolve?  If it doesn't resolve, how can I get the mail back?  As mentioned
in the message below, other lists let me (un)subscribe and post without
trouble.  There doesn't seem to be any networking problem here of any kind.
(Fingers crossed :)

henry nelson

Final-Recipient: RFC822; procmail(_at_)Lists(_dot_)RWTH-Aachen(_dot_)DE
Action: failed
Remote-MTA: DNS; relay1.rwth-aachen.de
Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 451 4.1.8 Domain of sender address
netb(_at_)irm(_dot_)nara(_dot_)kindai(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp does not resolve
Last-Attempt-Date: Wed, 6 Feb 2002 11:02:42 +0900 (JST)

Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:11:50 +0900
From: henry nelson <netb(_at_)irm(_dot_)nara(_dot_)kindai(_dot_)ac(_dot_)jp>
Subject: Re: Procmail development (Was: is this procmail rant justified?)

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 12:04:28AM +0000, Martin McCarthy wrote:
I was going to send this privately to Philip, but thought that others on
the list might be interested in the answer (assuming the problem is not
my stupidity! :-))

I am interested.  It has taken me more than a month to get back on the list
since a power outage on December 26th shut down our servers for four days,
and I was kicked off the list.

My requests to get on the procmail list either vanished or after about a
week's time came back with some comment to the effect that the domain name
of my e-mail address didn't resolve.  I sent requests from three different
machines, two on the same lan and one on another, all three within the same
firewall and all three under the authority of the same name server.  The
last
machine I tried was finally accepted, and I use a procmail recipe in that
defunct account to forward the mail to my real account.

Why won't the procmail list just let me subscribe from this machine
directly?
Five other lists (three different organizations) I belong to did.

I've tried to subscribe to the procmail developers list as per the
instructions at procmail.org but never received any errors nor ever
ended up on a mailing list.  I like to think I'm able to follow
"subscribe to this list instructions", but I'm prepared to be proven

Maybe just keep trying?  Perhaps there's some problem with the list server
that noone has brought attention to yet.

henry nelson