Re: How to excluding the newline in Headers scan?

2002-05-02 09:09:02
Udi asked,

| In case of header scanning (flag "H").    How to ask for string with
| no Newlines?  Like this:   "aaa ANY_CHAR_BUT_NOT_NEWLINE zzz"
| (in _pseudo_code_:  "aaa [^$] zzz")
|
| If I say:    "aaa .* zzz"     it can be:
|
| From: aaa
|  zzz
|
| and procmail match it as:   "From: aaa  zzz".

You can always do this,

 * ^From:.*aaa.*zzz
 * ! ? grep '^From:.*aaa.*zzz'

because grep will see the continuation newline as a newline.

But may I ask why you want to do that?  Within the head a newline followed by
a space or tab is merely cosmetic.  There shouldn't be any reason to make a
distinction, so I'm wondering why you need to.