Re: mail filtering doesn't work

2002-12-04 10:33:45
At 13:56 2002-12-04 +0200, Stelios Asmargianakis did say:

I am telling again that i don't have root access to the server.Is it possible to do anything through my ~/.procmailrc ?

Well, it sort of depends on how the "extra" mail accounts are being handled. Are they _aliases_ to the climbinc account, or do they shuttle directly to SEPARATE POP or IMAP mailboxes?

If the messages do not pass through your shell account (i.e. are NOT aliases), you're going to have difficulties trying to filter them. OTOH, if you have filters that look specifically for your "climbinc(_at_)mydomain(_dot_)com" address and do things, then perhaps the messages for the other addresses are passing through your procmail config, but you're simply not matching them because you're using the wrong criteria. Set "VERBOSE=ON" for verbose logging and send a few test messages to see.

Spend some time discussing this with your system administrator at VenturesOnline -- how are the other mail accounts are set up, are they separate POP/IMAP mailboxes, if so, can delivery be routed through your primary account instead (which then means all the messages will be retrieved through a single POP/IMAP mailbox, which is probably NOT what you want to be stuck with), do you actually have other shell accounts associated with them (through which you could host separate .procmailrc files).

The bottom line is that procmail _can_ filter the messages - as long as the mail system passes the messages to procmail - if the configuration doesn't, there's not a lot you can do from within your home dir to change that.

I have the sinking suspicion that they are some form of virtual pop accounts, and that is a whole other ball of wax for you to contend with if there isn't an actual "account" sitting beneath them.