Best practices: .forward and .procmailrc?

2003-01-08 17:09:56

        I'm setting up an Exim-based mail server, with procmail as the
local delivery agent.  Exim is an MTA (SMTP server).  But I'm having some
confusion as to the relationship of the MTA to procmail.

        Exim has built-in support for the .forward file -- my
understanding is that this is a feature 'inherited' (read: copied) from
Sendmail.  However, the procmail man page says:

Procmail should be invoked automatically over the .forward file mechanism
as soon as mail arrives.

        Does that mean I should disable Exim's support for the .forward
file?  Or does that mean I should have procmail invoked as a pipe
command _via_ the .forward file?

        In short, does procmail ever use or read the .forward file?

        I am further confused by the next sentence:

Alternatively, when installed by a system administrator, it can be invoked
from within the mailer immediately.

        It seems to me that this is saying the exact same thing as the
last sentence, and yet it says "alternatively".

        I want users to be able to both (a) have mail forwarded to
arbitrary other accounts, and (b) use procmail to filter messages and take
recipe-based actions.  Would that involve both the .forward file and the
.procmailrc?  Or does that mean users would need to have a recipe in
.procmailrc to do any desired forwarding?

        Any help (esp. examples) would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
Derek Simkowiak