Summary Re: Best practices: .forward and .procmailrc?

2003-01-09 17:21:43
for some large value of pi, in the sense that long strings of digits are
large.

        By the time one gets to the, say, 420th digit of pi, one may wish
to refrain from posting to public lists for a couple hours.  :)

        Here's what I found out, posted here for the archives.

        The .forward file is not read by procmail.  The only relationship
between the .forward and procmail is that some MTAs (Sendmail, Exim by
default, and possibly others) will allow users to pipe their incoming
email through procmail by putting a pipe entry in their .forward.  But
that is a function of the MTA, and again is rather arbitrary with regards
to procmail.

        If you want to use procmail as the system-wide local delivery
agent, then your MTA (in my case, Exim) must be specifically configured to
do so.  But even in this case, procmail will not look at the .forward.
However, it would still look at each user's .procmailrc upon delivery.

        The recommended setup for Exim is to leave the treatment of the
.forward file alone, and then configure procmail as the LDA.  This allows
users to put forwarding addresses in their .forward, and even put their
own pipe commands in there and thus override procmail as the LDA for their
email.  But by default, the users would NOT need a pipe entry to the
procmail binary to have their .procmailrc read, because the MTA would be
the thing invoking procmail for them.

        The .procmailrc can then hold whatever recipes the user wishes,
but to have email forwarded one must only put the forward address in the
.forward (without having to write a procmail recipe to do the forwarding).

        An alternative solution would be to just have each user's .forward
have a pipe command to procmail.  But then every user MUST have a
.forward, and a .procmailrc that will do something sensible with their
email.

        The above is my current understanding, and I have not yet tested
it.  But based on some emails I got from other Exim users, that should be
how things work... I will post a correction if I encounter any surprises.

Thanks,
Derek