Re: [PROCMAIL] Summary Re: Best practices: .forward and .procmailrc?

2003-01-13 08:27:44
On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 07:07:47PM -0500, Derek Simkowiak wrote:

[ ... ]

      The .forward file is not read by procmail.  The only
relationship between the .forward and procmail is that some MTAs
(Sendmail, Exim by default, and possibly others) will allow users to
pipe their incoming email through procmail by putting a pipe entry
in their .forward.  But that is a function of the MTA, and again is
rather arbitrary with regards to procmail.

well, i believe the relationship between .forward and procmail comes
from a time when -- gasp! -- procmail was not the common local
delivery agent.  if memory serves, there was a time when it was more
common for 'mail' to be the lda.  therefore, if you wanted your
incoming mail handled by procmail instead of by mail, you had to use
the pipe process in the .forward file.

i can vaguely recall a time, lo these many years ago, when i had to
call procmail through the .forward file.  we live in a better time,
now.

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Waterbury, CT USA