Re: Summary Re: Best practices: .forward and .procmailrc?

2003-01-16 13:05:19
    By default Postfix and Exim do not use procmail as the LDA.
Postfix cannot use procmail as the LDA for "virtual" users.

Erm?  Are you sure about this?

The mailman users are virtual (defined via the aliases.db file) [...]
or is this not what you mean by "virtual" users?

        "Virtual users" and "aliases" mean two very different things, at
least in the Postfix and Exim communities.

        But in general, there is some confusion as to the meaning of
"virtual" with regard to MTAs.  Until Postfix 2.0, it was not entirely
clear what "virtual" meant even to the software.

        With Exim, a "virtual user" could be either a local account for a
"virtual domain" (meaning a domain for which the host takes email, but it
is not configured with that domain name in DNS), or a user who does not
have an actual Unix login account (as with Cyrus-IMAP).  With Postfix, a
"virtual" user is one that does not have a Unix login account, and uses
the Postfix 'virtual' LDA, but there is special meaning with regards to
how it handles email that has confused many people, myself included.
(It's better documented in the new 2.0 version, but I've since converted
to Exim.)

        But I've never seen someone use the term "virtual" with regard to
an entry in an aliases database.

--Derek