Re: Auto reply?

2003-04-29 19:38:00
On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 16:27:52 at 04:27:52PM -0400, Fuzzy Logic
(fuzzman(_at_)m-net(_dot_)arbornet(_dot_)org) wrote:
I still stick to my original assertion that top-posting makes more sense
in an active forum such as what you would find on most mailing lists,
where you will see the answer to a question only shortly after the
question is asked

Whatever makes you think that the above is true in the majority of
cases? Especially on forums with users from all the 24 time zones?

Maybe you are confusing IRC/Instant Messaging with email.  I (= the
average email user) don't live glued to the PC (yet). I post a
question, go to sleep, to work, whatever, for ten/twelve hours. When
I'm back to the keyboard, I read the answers, if any, and reply. Maybe
I answer to something that was typed 15 hours before. Maybe the guy
who knows the answers to what I ask today just went surfing for two
weeks, and will answer when he's back.

Maybe we are all glued to the keyboard, but follow 20 mailing lists at
the same time, so every time we have to figure out again who was
asking what. Hence:

1) Top posting worst than bottom posting
2) Not stripping unnecessary parts of the original message always
   worst than top (or bottom) posting
3) Mixing totally unrelated issues in the same message: worst than 1
and 2 combined
etc. etc...
--
Marco Fioretti                 m.fioretti, at the server inwind.it

Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right
                                           Salvor Hardin , "Foundation"