Re: Nevermind (was compiling without a terminal)

2003-08-09 13:23:47
At 13:36 2003-08-09 -0500, David W. Tamkin wrote:

 find / -name make -print 2>/dev/null | xargs ls -l

How about we modify that somewhat:

find / -name make ! -type d -perm +a+x -print 2>/dev/null | xargs ls -ld

Now, only files with execute bit (which make should have, right?) and which are NOT directories. This should ditch a lot of the invalid results.

I don't like find - I prefer to use locate to find files here and there, or when I do run find (there are times when it's THE tool for the job), to focus my search as well as I can.

(The "2>/dev/null" is to suppress all the stderr when I can't descend into other users' directories.)

Alternatley, you could _prune_ some directories you know you shouldn't search:

find / \( -path '/proc' -prune -o -path '/dev' -prune -o -path '/home' \
        -prune \) -o -name make ! -type d -perm +a+x -print 2>/dev/null \
        | xargs ls -ld

Whether this syntax works for you or not will depend upon the variety of find which is in use.

Trust instead that I've considered how quickly I'd lose my account if I tried that. (If I could get away with it, I'd put them into the procmail logfile, not mail them to myself.)

Or, depending upon the OS which the mail server is running, possibly
install it to another machine

Install what to another machine?

The same OS.  Sorry I wasn't clear about that.

I don't have access to anything that can produce binaries that will run on the mail server.

Bugger that, though I see as I'm finishing this message off, you've found that the login and mail servers are running compatible OS' now...

Here on Panix, for example, I can't log into the mail server either.

You could potentially invoke FTP or scp, or whatever, FROM the mail host via a script to retrieve files from elsewhere.

some poking around I found two versions of it, but how the heck can I do that on a machine where I have no shell access, other than a find down from /?

Controlled invocation of emailed shell scripts? At least the mail host has procmail, just an older version...